There are times when you wake up with a few knots in your hair, but matted hair is another story.
Matted strands can be identified by severely tangled hair that is difficult to detangle.
There’s no need to panic, thankfully. It may be tempting to seek out professional help if you have matted hair, but you can treat it yourself.
Setting the hair
If you are trying to avoid cutting your hair, there are many techniques you can use for detangling. The best ways to untangle matted hair without cutting it all off may depend on the length and type of your hair, as well as how severe the tangles are. If you’ve tried to brush out the knots but they just keep coming back, here are some ways to get through tangled locks without scissors.
Tips and methods to set the matted hair
1. Brush the Tangles before Washing It
Before washing your hair, run a wide-toothed comb or an unbreakable bristle brush over your tresses to break up any tangles that may be present. A paddle brush is especially effective at using gentle to work through mats with minimal pulling. A natural bristle brush or wide toothed comb is both good options because of the resilience of the bristles compared to plastic ones.
2. Use a Pre-Shampoo Conditioner
A pre-shampoo conditioner is one that you leave in your hair for several minutes before shampooing it out. A deep conditioning treatment can help nourish the hair while you have it on, making any future brushing less difficult on your strands. Some people even use petroleum jelly as a pre-shampoo treatment for severely tangled hair, leaving it on overnight while they sleep so they can massage it while working through knots in the morning.
3. Set up Your Hair for Chlorine
If you swim in chlorinated pools or salt water, be sure to set your hair up before you swim so that the water has less of a chance to tangle your locks. If your hair is already poofy after being blown dry or styled, this will help reduce tangles as well.
4. Buy a High-Quality Detangler
Whether you pick something with natural ingredients like Aloe Vera gel, coconut oil, olive oil or jojoba oil, or use an artificial detangling solution such as one made from silicone and dimethicone (or other ingredients), make sure it’s high quality and meant for your type of hair. These products are designed to coat the strands and smooth them out without weighing them down or leaving any residue behind; if they don’t do those things, they won’t work to untangle your hair.
5. Invest in the Proper Detangling Tools
A wide-toothed brush and a detangler or leave-in treatment can help you get through knots with less pain and breakage. You may also want to invest in a high quality wooden comb for brushing wet hair when it is tangling more easily than when dry.
A paddle brush is another good investment because of the smooth surface area that won’t snag on even short hair. Another option is going to a professional stylist if you have very long or thick hair, though this will cost money each time you visit them. Also make sure that your detangler does not contain any sulfates if you stay away from products with petroleum elements.
Methods to get rid of matted hair
Some important methods by which you can get rid of matted hair. Some of them are given below:
Apple Cider Vinegar
The very first remedy that can detangle knots from your hair is apple cider vinegar. It not only removes the tangles but also give nourishment to the scalp and roots of the hair.
- Take a cup full of water and add some amount of ACV in it. Mix it well and make sure there are no lumps.
- Now take a piece of cloth (preferably old t-shirt/cloth) and soak it in this solution.
- After soaking, wring out excess water from this cloth by pressing on both sides to release any extra liquid present between fibers.
- Place this wet cloth around head, wrapping all your hair in it.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap or a plastic bag and let it stay for thirty minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove the cloth from hair. Try to detangle knots gently by running fingers from root to tip of wet hair. Rinse off with water if this solution is too strong for your hair or scalp.
For removing tangles from your hair, you can also make use of coconut oil. It nourishes the roots and makes your hair bouncy and smooth which definitely bit difficult after being entangled in knots.
- Take some amount of coconut oil (a tablespoon will be enough) and apply all over dampened hair. Let this oil remain on hair for some time before rinsing it off thoroughly.
- Gently detangle knots using fingers or a wide-tooth comb.
- You can also use baby oil if coconut oil proves too greasy to your taste. Pour few drops of baby oil on the palm and apply all over the tangled part of hair. Use gentle motions for massaging scalp. After about five minutes, gently work at tangles with fingers or a wide tooth comb. Rinse with lukewarm water after removing knots from your hair by following these steps one by one.
This great food is not only tasty but has amazing benefits for your hair as well.
- Take a big tablespoon of peanut butter and massage this into dry scalp gently before leaving it on hair for about thirty minutes.
- Now take little amount of shampoo in the palm and make lather. Apply this lather over hair to remove knots from hair or out of tangled hair. This will not only release all tangles but also keep your scalp healthy by acting as a deep conditioner for it. Rinse off thoroughly using cold water for best results.
Another natural solution which would definitely be helpful in releasing knots from your hair is mayonnaise that contains olive oil which can help you relieve yourself from all troubles that are caused by matted- knots.
- Take some amount of mayonnaise in your palm and apply all over damp hair. Let this solution remain on hair for at least thirty minutes before rinsing it off with shampoo.
- Now take little amount of coconut oil in the palm and warm up this oil by rubbing hands together. Apply the warmed-up oil throughout head, massaging gently into scalp with fingertips or a toothbrush to help penetrate oils into hair shafts. Cover with plastic wrap or shower cap to hold in warmth while you relax for 30 minutes longer. Rinse out thoroughly using cold water for best results followed by application of conditioner after shampooing your hair.
Another easy way to remove tangles from your hair is to use baby oil.
- Take some amount of baby oil in the palm and massage gently into tangled section of your hair. Make sure you cover every bit of knots with this oil for best results.
- Now take small amount of shampoo in the palm and make lather using water in the shower/tub/basin before rinsing it off thoroughly. This will release tangles from your hair easily and keep your scalp healthy by acting as a deep conditioner for it.
Another way to treat matted knots which you can try out at home is applying lemon juice on them because they help in loosening up any tight spots which might be causing problems.
- Take some amount of lemon juice in the palm and apply all over tangled section of your hair. After applying this solution, cover your hair with shower cap for about thirty minutes before rinsing it off with shampoo.
- Massage gently to help get rid of any impurities that are trapped in the scalp. Rinse until water runs clear, then follow up with a deep-conditioner or leave-in conditioner for healthier looking locks in just two weeks! You can also use olive oil if lemon juice proves too acidic to your taste. Pour few drops on the palm and apply throughout head, massaging gently into scalp with fingertips or a toothbrush to help penetrate oils into shafts. Cover with plastic wrap or shower cap to hold in warmth while you relax for thirty minutes longer. Rinse off thoroughly using cold water for best results followed by application of conditioner after shampooing your hair.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, off course you can set and maintain your hair at home.
No, they all are natural methods. This cannot harm your hair in any case.