A Turkey Visa is an authorization to enter Turkey and stay there for a particular period of time. It enables you to engage in several activities and depending on the type, even to study or work.
Some of the visas permit you to even apply for a Turkish residence permit and stay in Turkey for at least a year.
Who Needs a Turkey Visa?
There is a long list of world nationals that need a Turkey Visa Application to enter the country. Exempt are only the nationals of countries that have good diplomatic relations with Turkey.
Those that need to apply for a Turkey Visa are grouped in two:
- Foreigners that can apply for an e-visa for tourism or commerce, and a sticker visa for other purposes.
- Foreigners that should get a sticker visa for Turkey for any purpose of entry.
In addition, there are some categories, which are exempt from both groups. Check our detailed article on who needs a Turkey visa, with full lists of all these categories and exemptions.
Turkish Visa Application
To apply for a visa to enter Turkey, you will need to complete some procedures. You should make sure you complete all of them correctly, in the given order. If you mistake even a thing, your application may be rejected, which can also affect any future applications.
Before you start taking concrete steps, you should first find out a few things, regarding the Turkey visa application in your home country. First, ask yourself if you need a visa at all. If you do, then continue reading this article for more information.
- Check what type of Turkish visa you need to apply for.
- Find out when is the right time to apply.
- Check where to submit your Turkey visa application.
- Collect the required documents.
- Submit the application
- Wait for processing
Check what type of Turkish visa you need to apply for
There are a few Turkish Visa types, for which you can apply. The main thing that you need to know is whether you can apply for an e-visa or a sticker visa.
Note that according to the purpose of traveling to Turkey you will need to select one of the following main Turkish visa types:
- TurkishTourist/Business Visa. You can apply for this visa if the main purpose of your trip to Turkey is transit, touristic visit, business meeting/commerce, conference/seminar/meeting, festival/fair/exhibition, sportive activity, cultural-artistic activity, official visit, or visit to the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus.
- Turkish Education Visa. You can apply for this visa if the main purpose of the application is for doing an internship, attending a course or other educational purposes, in Turkey or the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus.
- Turkey Work Visa. You can apply for this visa if the main purpose of your trip to Turkey is employment, or you are an assigned academic, sportsperson, artist, free zone worker, journalist to Turkey or for montage and repairman purposes.
- Other Visas. You may as well apply for other visas that do not fall under the ones listed above, as: archaeological excavation, exploration purpose, documentary purpose, tour operator representative, medical treatment purposes, accompaniment purpose, family unification purpose, freight visa, or seafarer visa.
For more details about the Transit visa for Turkey and the Turkish residence permits visit the respective articles.
Find out when is the right time to apply
Turkish authorities recommend that you should lodge your application for a Turkish sticker visa at least one month prior to your trip. Thus, you will be able to avoid inconveniences that may be caused by delays in application processing.
Yet the earliest that you can lodge an application, is 60 days before your intended departure to Turkey.
Check where to submit your Turkey visa application
You will need to lodge your application file for a Turkish visa at the Turkish embassy or consulate in your country of residence. In some countries, you may have to submit your application at a third-party visa processing center, to which Turkey has outsourced visa submission.
Yet, the Turkish embassies and consulates are the sole authorities responsible for processing in every world country.
Following, find the application process to apply for a Turkish visa clearly explained.
Apply for a Turkish Sticker Visa
To apply for a Turkish Sticker Visa you should first complete the online form, which contains a few questions on your identity, nationality, and purpose of visit. If you do not need a visa to Turkey, or you are eligible for an e-visa, the system will tell you, as soon as you give this information.
If not, you will be required to give some additional information. The system will also tell you what type of documents you need to apply for that particular type of visa for entry in Turkey.
You will also be given with a date and time, for your visa interview.
On the day of your interview, you should show up at the Turkish embassy or consulate in your country of residence. Make sure you have all the required documents with you. You will attend a short interview with a consular officer, who will ask you a few questions regarding your trip.
Required Documents to Apply for a Turkey Visa
To apply for a Turkish Visa, you need to submit a few required documents on the day of your interview. These documents are a very important part of the application process, thus, you should collect every single one according to the criteria and specifications set by the Turkish authorities.
According to the visa type you are applying for, and sometimes your nationality, you will need to submit additional documents.
Turkey Visa Application Processing
The processing of a Turkey visa application depends on the country from where you are applying. While in some countries you can get an answer within three days, in others the average may be about 15 working days.
When applying for a work visa, the processing of your application may last for 25 working days.
You can track the status of your application at the same website from where you started your application.
Applying for a Turkish e-Visa
On the other hand, if you need a Turkish eVisa, the application process is way shorter and easier. You need to complete the following steps to get an eVisa for Turkey.
- Go to the Turkish eVisa Website and complete the online application form.
- Check your email. Within minutes, you must receive an email asking you to confirm that you have started an application for an eVisa. If you do not find this email in your inbox, you probably have received it in your spam folder. Click the link you have received, which will take you back to the eVisa application website.
- Pay the fee. You will then need to pay the fee for an eVisa application online at the eVisa application website. Once you pay the fee, the web will tell you that you will receive an email with the eVisa.
- Download your e–Visa. You will again receive an email. This will not be the eVisa but rather a button that will take you again to the same website, where you will have to download your eVisa.
- Print your e–visa. The Turkish authorities want you to present your e-visa in a printed form. Showing the border authorities a version of your e-visa in your phone or other gadgets is not acceptable. The e-visa must be printed.
How Much Does it Cost to Apply for a Turkish Visa?
You will need to pay a particular Turkey Visa Online fee when you lodge your application. The fees for a Turkey sticker visa and an e-visa are different.
Depending on your nationality, the Turkish e-visa fees range from €14 to €71.
On the other hand, the Turkish visa fees for sticker visas start at €117 the lowest, to €180 the highest, for most nationalities. Yet, citizens of some other countries, as the UAE may have to pay higher visas, up to €465.
For a full list of the Turkish visa costs, check our article on Turkey visa fees.
Turkish Visa Validity
With a Turkish visa, you can stay in Turkey for up to 90 days within six months. Note that depending on your nationality you will be permitted to remain in Turkey for:
- Up to 30 days within six months
- Up to 60 days within six months
- Up to 90 days within six months
- Up to 60 days per visit, 90 days within six months
- Up to 30 days per visit, 90 days within six months
Note that the validity of a visa is the same for e-visa holders and sticker visa holders.
After You Arrive in Turkey
If you are in Turkey with the intention of working or studying, then you should register at the nearest local police department upon arrival in Turkey.
Note that is you want to stay in Turkey for more than 90 days, you should apply for a residence permit at the Provincial Directorate of Migration Administration. Those in Turkey with a tourism or commercial visa cannot apply for a residence permit.
What Documents Do I Need to Present at the Turkish Port of Entry?
When you show up at the Turkish port of entry, you will need to present some documents, in order to prove your eligibility to enter.
If due to your nationality, you fall under the Turkish visa regime you will need to present the following:
- Your valid passport
- Your e-visa or sticker visa, as applicable.
Note that the nationals of the following countries can enter Turkey with only their IDs:
- The Netherlands
- Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus
Note that the nationals of Germany, Belgium, France, Spain, Switzerland, Luxembourg, and Portugal can enter Turkey with a passport that has expired in the last five years, as well.