What Is the Indian Tourist Visa?
The online TOURIST VISA FOR INDIA is an electronic travel permit that allows citizens of eligible countries to visit India.
The tourist e-Visa for India was launched in October 2014 to simplify the process of obtaining a visa and attract more foreign visitors.
The Indian tourist visa or e-Tourist visa allows the holder to visit India for touristic purposes. Some of the reasons to travel to India with this type of visa are:
- Engaging in tourism activism
- Visiting friends and family
- Attending a yoga retreat
Please note: e-Visa entry is currently not permitted for citizens of the countries listed below. This is a temporary measure and nationals of these countries are expected to be let into BUSINESS VISA FOR INDIA again soon. Check this page regularly for the latest updates:
- Hong Kong
- Saudi Arabia
- Sri Lanka
- United Kingdom
How to Get an e-Tourist Visa for India?
To apply for an e-Tourist visa for India, travelers complete the online form. The following basic information is required:
- Full name
- Date and place of birth
- Contact information
- Passport details
There are also a series of eligibility and security questions. To finalize the request, the tourist visa fees are paid securely online by debit or credit card.
Most e-Tourist visa applications are approved in 2-4 business days. Travelers receive the visa for India by email.Apply for a Tourist Visa
Types of e-Tourist Visa for India
There are 2 different e-Tourist visas available for India: a one-month tourist visa and a one-year tourist visa.
One-month e-Tourist visa for India
Travelers can apply now for a one-month e-Tourist visa for India.
The one-month e-Tourist visa is valid for 30 days from the date of arrival in India.
It is a single-entry visa, the date of entry must be between the visa’s issue and expiry dates.
One-year e-Tourist visa for India
The one-year tourist visa for India is valid for 365 days from the visa issue date.
It is valid for multiple entries of up to 90 days per stay. Nationals of Canada, Japan, the US, and the UK can stay for up to 180 days each time.
Information About India e-Tourist Visas
There are a few things that all travelers who wish to get their tourist visa for India must know before submitting their application:
- This visa type is non-convertible and non-extendable.
- Individuals can apply for a maximum of two e-Visas during a calendar year.
- Applicants are required to have sufficient funds to support themselves during their stay in India.
- Travelers are required to carry a copy of their approved e-Visa India authorization at all times during their stay.
- Visitors must have a return or an onward ticket when applying for their e-Tourist visa.
- All applicants must have an individual passport, regardless of their age.
- Parents may not include their children in their online Visa for India application.
- The e-Tourist visa cannot be used and is not valid to visit protected/restricted or Cantonment areas.
- The applicant’s passport must be valid for at least 6 months from the date of arrival in India. The passport must have at least two blank pages for the immigration and border control authorities to place the entry and exit stamps.
- Applicants who hold International Travel Documents or Diplomatic Passports cannot apply for an e-Tourist visa for India.
Ports of entry with an India e-Tourist visa
An e-Tourist visa holder must arrive through one of the 28 designated airports or 5 designated seaports.
To leave India, e-Tourist visa holders can depart from any of the authorized Immigration Check Posts (ICPS) in India.
Travelers planning to arrive by land or through another port of entry need to get a visa at an embassy or consulate.
What You Can Do With the India e-Tourist Visa
The e-Tourist visa is an electronic travel authorization designed for travelers who wish to visit India for tourism purposes. This type of eVisa for India can be used to visit landmarks, explore the country, and learn about the culture. The e-Tourist visa can also be obtained to visit family or friends in India.
Many foreign travelers obtain the e-Tourist visa to participate in yoga retreats. India is thought to be one of the most spiritual places on Earth. Some of the most sacred sites can be found in the country including the Taj Mahal, Varanasi, Rishikesh, or the Ellora and Ajanta Caves. India is the birthplace of Jainism, Buddhism, Hinduism, and Sikhism, and where yoga started.Apply for a Tourist Visa
Prohibited activities with an e-Tourist visa for India
Foreigners entering Indian with a tourist visa are not permitted to engage in any kind of “Tablighi work”. Such activity will be considered a violation of visa norms and will result in a fine and entry ban.
Although there is no limit on attending religious places or taking part in standard religious activities, the visa guidelines state that preaching Tablighi Jamaat ideology, distributing pamphlets, and making speeches in religious places are not allowed.
How Long Can You Stay in India With e-Tourist Visa?
How long a traveler can stay in India depends on the type of e-Visa they hold:
- One-month tourist e-Visa—maximum 30 days
- One-year tourist e-Visa—maximum 90 days per stay
Nationals of Canada, Japan, the UK, and the US can stay in India for up to 180 days with a one-year visa.
How long does it take to obtain a tourist visa to India?
The quickest way to obtain a tourist visa for India is online. Although many travelers receive the approved e-Visa within 24 hours, travelers should apply at least 4 business days in advance to allow time for processing.
Provided applicants have all the required information and documents to hand, the form can be completed and submitted in a matter of minutes. As soon as the request has been approved, the visa is sent directly to the applicant via email.
As the process is 100% online, without the need to go to a consulate or embassy, the e-tourist visa is the quickest way to gain access to India for tourism purposes.